I recently managed to successfully go from couch to 5k and I thought I’d share a brief step by step summary of how I did it.
1. Start on couch.
2. Sign up for a 5k run with work.
3. Download the Couch to 5k app to my phone (from couch).
4. Order one of those armband things for holding my phone.
5. Endure mocking from wife after accidentally ordering a pink one.
6. Figure out the latest day I need to start training in order to complete nine week program before my run.
7. Order a pizza, as I have loads of time.
8. Buy expensive running shoes.
9. Admire expensive running shoes.
10. Hire treadmill.
11. Admire treadmill.
12. Order a pizza.
13. Pass deadline for beginning training with time to complete full program.
14. Promise to start soon… better late than never.
15. Pass deadline for beginning training with time to get through 50% of program.
16. Order a pizza.
17. Return treadmill.
18. Admire size of living room.
19. Pass deadline for beginning training with enough time to gain any benefit at all from it.
20. Wake up on race day.
21. Eat banana to give energy for running the race.
22. Endure mocking from wife over use of the word “run”.
23. Vow to prove her wrong if it kills me.
24. Run 5k out of pure stubborness.
Overall, pretty successful. I also managed the lesser known 5k to Couch…
1. Run 5k.
2. Go home.
3. Flop on couch and die.